Sandalwood has long been known for its medicinal purposes. It has been used from ancient times for its multiple healing purposes. Even in the present day sandalwood has made a mark in most of the beauty products such as lotions, soaps, deodorants etc.
One of the various forms of sandalwood available for consumption is the oil. It is the simplest but most effective form that can be directly used for various purposes. It is very expensive considering the fact that it has become rare these days but the price you pay is worth the results it gives.
Some of the many uses of sandalwood oil are discussed below:
- Anti Septic: Essential Oil of Sandal Wood is very good as an anti septic. It is safe for both internal and external applications. If ingested, it helps protect internal wounds and ulcers from infections. Similarly, when applied on skin, it protects wounds, sores, boils, pimples etc. from infections and from getting septic.
- Anti Inflammatory: Both Sandal Wood paste and its essential oil are very effective as anti inflammatory agents. They have a nice cooling effect and gives relief from all types of inflammations in brain, digestive system, nervous system, circulatory system, excretory system etc. resulting from infections, fever, side effects of antibiotics, poisoning, insect bites, wounds etc. Sandal Wood Essential Oil is particularly beneficial in case of nervous and circulatory inflammations.
- Anti Phlogistic: Sandal Wood Oil has Anti Phlogistic properties and gives relief from inflammations resulting from fever and viral infections.
- Anti Spasmodic: Being a relaxant and sedative in nature, this oil works great against spasm too. It relaxes nerves, muscles and blood vessels and hence ends spasm or contraction. Thus it is helpful in treating problems associated with spasm, such as cramps, aches, coughs etc.
- Astringent: Although very mild, still this oil has some astringent properties which induce contraction in gums, muscles and skin. This proves beneficial in terms of strengthening hold of gums on teeth, strengthening of muscles, tightening of skin etc.
- Cicatrisant: The essential oil of Sandal Wood soothes skin and helps fading away of scars, spots etc. It has been an old practice to use paste of sandal wood as a skin pack. The same effect can be obtained from this essential oil. This oil is now extensively used in skin-care soaps, lotions and creams.
- Carminative: The Essential Oil of Sandal Wood, being relaxant in nature, induces relaxation in the intestines and abdominal muscles, thereby facilitating removal of gas.
- Diuretic: Due to its relaxing and anti inflammatory nature, it soothes inflammations in the urinary system and induces relaxation in it, thereby promoting easy passage of urine. It also increases frequency and quantity of urination. This helps a lot treating the infections and inflammations in the urinary system.
- Disinfectant: It is the disinfectant property of Sandal Wood Essential Oil that justifies it’s such a wide use in the religious ceremonies and cosmetics. Its fragrance keeps away microbes and small insects and that is why it is extensively used in incense sticks, sprays, fumigants and evaporators to disinfect the whole surrounding. Moreover, this oil can be mixed with bathing water or other lotions or oils to apply on skin and wounds and ensure their protection from infections. This oil can also be safely taken with milk to cure internal infections, such as those in throat, oesophagus, stomach, intestines, excretory tracts etc.
- Emollient: Sandal Oil soothes skin, relieves it from inflammations and irritations, cures infections on it and keeps it fresh and cool.
- Expectorant: Sandal Wood Essential Oil behaves as an expectorant and is particularly effective in treating coughs. It also fights viral infection which causes cough & cold, flu, mumps etc.
- Hypotensive: This is a very useful property of Sandal Wood Essential Oil. It can be taken with milk or even water to reduce blood pressure in patients suffering from high blood pressure. The paste of Sandal Wood has the same effect.
- Memory Booster: It improves memory and induces concentration. It keeps the brain cool and relaxed and saves from undue stress and anxiety.
- Sedative: This oil sedates inflammations, anxiety, fear, stress, restlessness etc. and induces relaxation, calmness, concentration, inner vision, positive thoughts etc.
- Tonic: This oil can be very good health tonic for all, especially for growing children. It can be safely given to them. Since it is soothing on stomach and digestive system, circulatory system and nervous system, it helps this system function in harmony and without any side effects.
Thus it can be safely said that sandalwood oil is the ruler of all essential oils. It is unfortunate that the trees have been cut and misused and is on the verge of extinction. Hopefully, a day will come when the trees are more prominent and the availability is more easier.
Signup for Ayurveda News updates